Colin Radford, former CEO of WorkSafe Victoria, has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer of Comcare, bringing decades of experience in workplace health and safety to the Commonwealth’s regulator and insurer. Australian Government
Radford’s five-year term begins on November 17, 2025, following a merit-based selection process Australian Government that concludes a turbulent period for the organisation, which has seen considerable leadership instability in recent years.
Federal Employment and Workplace Relations Minister Amanda Rishworth welcomed the appointment, emphasising Radford’s credentials. “Mr Radford has broad experience in workers’ compensation, and work health and safety,” she said. “I am confident he will provide strong leadership to Comcare during this important period.” Australian Government
A proven track record in Victoria
Radford led WorkSafe Victoria as CEO from 2019 to 2023, and previously headed the Victorian Managed Insurance Authority from 2016 to 2019. He also served as a member of Safe Work Australia between 2020 and 2023. Australian Government
During his tenure at WorkSafe, Radford played a key role in encouraging employers to take a prevention-led approach to mental health injuries Quarry — an issue that has become increasingly critical in workplace safety discussions.
Comcare’s revolving door
Radford inherits an organisation that has struggled with leadership continuity. His predecessor, Greg Vines, left the role after just 22 months to take up a position as executive adviser to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on labour management. PS News
Vines, who had previously served as deputy director-general for the International Labour Organisation, was appointed in April 2023 but departed earlier this year. His most notable achievement was highlighting psychological safety as a priority, noting that bullying and harassment were the number-one cause of psychological injury in the Commonwealth jurisdiction, accounting for 38 per cent of all accepted claims related to mental stress. PS News
The position had previously been vacant for a year before Vines’ appointment, adding to the organisation’s instability.
Stepping up from acting role
Minister Rishworth acknowledged the contribution of Michael Duke, who has been serving as acting CEO since March 2025. “I would also like to thank Michael Duke for his dedicated service as acting chief executive officer of Comcare since March of this year,” she said.
A critical mandate
Comcare is responsible for regulating the Commonwealth’s work health and safety jurisdiction and managing the Commonwealth’s workers’ compensation scheme, along with claims across several injury compensation schemes. Australian Government
As Radford prepares to assume leadership, he faces the challenge of stabilising the organisation while addressing emerging workplace safety issues, particularly around mental health and psychological safety in an increasingly complex work environment.
With his extensive background in both regulation and insurance, and his demonstrated commitment to prevention-focused workplace safety strategies, Radford brings the experience needed to navigate Comcare through what the Minister described as “this important period.”





